Wednesday 14 August 2013

College Freshers: A Type

College started a week ago. And now that I’m in my final year, I can fearlessly comment about the Freshers who I see around the campus. Even though I haven’t had a chance to interact with many, there seems to be a general trend that they follow; a kind of a category that they seem to belong to. Surprisingly hardly anyone breaks this clichéd norm. It’s a shame. But then again, even I was hesitant to try something different in my first year. They’ll get around just like I did.
Here is a list of the typical type of Freshers who I have observed with keen interest:
  1. The Nerd: There is always this person who you will find issuing books on the very first day. Never seen in the canteen or other hangout places, but only in the library. Watch out for a school bag and heavy specs.
  2. The Fashionista: This one is either most sought after or made fun of the most. Generally it’s a girl but even a guy can fit into this category. Recognized easily from a distance, the Fashionista always catches the eye. She (or he) may be wearing clothes which you would normally wear at a party. Watch out for heels, totes and good perfume.
  3. The Flirt: The sole aim of getting into college for this person was finding a soul mate. Well, as we know, when we run after love, we don’t usually get it. So The Flirt rarely manages to fulfill his goal. He (or she) may never be seen in class or working for a cause but always at some crowded spot, victimizing and plotting. Watch out for ‘sexy’ glares and an air of “Yo baby, look at me, I’m so cool!”
  4. The Auditioner: This person has given his name for every society in college. He thinks he can dance, sing, paint, debate, act and/or play sports. He wants to be known in college for his talents and works hard for whichever society he gets into. Watch out for a whiff of confidence and a busy schedule.
  5. The Politician: Well, this category may not be as loud in many colleges but it is in mine. Being a student from the only college of India which has it’s own parliament, complete with an elected Prime Minister, I do see a lot of Freshers getting a taste of politics right from day one. The flashy cars, the rowdy slogan shouting, the standard white kurta attire or the rigorous campaigning, everything fascinates this person and he too desires to be voted for.
I’m sure there would be more categories which I didn’t cover. But those would be specific types. When a student graduates, he does so having become a mixture of all the above types. It’s only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment