Tuesday 23 April 2019

Random Thoughts

The world has thrived on marketing since it was born. From barter system to the introduction of money, it became easier and easier to characterize our wants and buy them. In this tech savvy time, with the click of a tab, we can browse through and get what we crave for, or what we think we want or what we realize we should want.
These days, I can fill my stomach with an app, which lists restaurants around me; I can shop for clothes and all items needed to survive, I can even go on dates without actually having to step out.
I had bought a Kindle a few months ago and I discovered I could carry a hundred books at a time and I can read multiple genres at the same time. I went and bought a few books a few days because I missed the new book smell and I missed turning the pages of an actual novel. 
I don’t remember the last time I went shopping in a mall. All my shopping is now done online. It is super convenient and so less tiring. But I miss trial rooms. Because of too much traffic on the roads, going for a movie is now last on the list- Netflix is first. Even finding your soul mate depends on what app you’ve downloaded. 
Are we losing the charm?
Do I know what I want? I thought I wanted freedom. With my own house and car, money enough to go on trips, I have the life I had dreamt of. I even have friends- I go out with a different set of people every few days. Of course it isn’t like school or college- people now have their own lives, priorities and choices. Now I understand my parents, “Family is what always stays.” But in this time of whatsapp, has communication become more difficult? 
When I want food, I say I am hungry. When I am tired, I say I am sleepy. When I want something, I say it, without hesitation. What about when I want attention?
Why can’t we say loudly that we want love? And who sells love out there? If you’ve to pay for it, it can’t be love, is what they say. Is this what is missing? Is this what all movies are made of? Realizing that we have everything, yet we have nothing?
They say we can only be happy if we are happy from within. We can only love if we have love within ourselves. Where will this come from? Who will tell us how to find these feelings within ourselves? Does someone need to tell us? Do we need to go to the mountains to realize the depths of our emotions? 
We definitely need to get out of our comfort zone to reach the place where all magic happens. But where are the directions to this place? 
So many questions and so little time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment