Wednesday 14 December 2011

Words


“It’s only words and words are all I have to take your heart away”, Boyzone’s hit song still makes me sing along. “Pen is mightier than the sword”, is a saying almost everyone is familiar with. The power of words surpasses that of thought, but does it outdo that of actions?
We should always think before we speak, words once spoken cannot be taken back, blah blah blah.  Are those little traces of comprehensible language so important? I’m not talking about official work and treaties and signatures here. I’m talking about the power of words in any relationship.
My friend does something I don’t approve of. Do I reprimand her? But experience shows that one’s principles or creed changes with time and circumstances. Nothing is permanent. So if I say something which I did mean at one time but I don’t a few days later, does that make me a hypocrite? Is it better to not say anything at all then?
Sometimes speaking too much causes a problem and sometimes staying shut does.

No comments:

Post a Comment